Pre Existing condition insurance

Discussions include Visitors to Canada/Super Visa Medical Emergency Insurance, Canadian Health & Dental Insurance, International Student Insurance, International Experience Canada (IEC) Insurance and more.

Pre Existing condition insurance

Postby Omar » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi! I went through several topics on the forum but didn't find exactly what I need. My father in law has a pre-existing medical condition whereas his spouse is healthy. They want to buy the plan as a couple, so will pre-existing medical condition of one person affect the overall plan?
Another question, are insurance premiums tax deductible? I know medical expenses are deductible, but what about the insurance policies?
Omar
Beginner

Re: Pre Existing condition insurance

Postby MadMan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:31 pm

Hello Omar! Good questions actually. Despite that a lot of insurance companies will offer a plan for couple, each person will get his own policy which will not be affected by another in any way. Those will be 2 separate policies. So the fact that a husband has a pre-existing medical condition will not effect the premium of his wife!
As for the tax questions, you can claim those as medical expenses. Premium amounts for private insurance can be put on your tax return as long as it is not provincial insurance plan and those payments are not for life insurance which is not tax deductible.
If you need more information on that, you can visit this website and ask any other questions regarding insurance plan that you would like to wrap your head around!
Cheers!
MadMan
Beginner

Return to Medical Insurance in Canada